Project • Hinges
A few months ago I started thinking about a plywood hinge shoe, and last week the idea just wouldn't leave me alone! So after a few days of non-stop thinking about this concept - I had to get into the studio and figure it out.
The first thing I did, was cutting the insole sections on my bandsaw and then picking out a heel to use - I used a pair of furniture legs I had lying around, as I didn't want to spend too much time focusing on the heel.
Then I got some little brass dolls house hinges and attached them along the insole. After that I got a little frustrated as I hadn't really anticipated designing the rest of the shoe, and honestly didn't want to haha, I was happy seeing the hinged plywood insole come to life and that was enough for me!
BUTTTT I figured I should use the opportunity to test out a few other ideas that you can see in the images of the finished product: drilled holes through the insole, layered angular forepart platform, rope tie straps and some EVA foam straps.
All in all I rate them a 5/10, they were definitely a rush job, and they absolutely could be way more resolved, but I'm glad I tested a few ideas out, and I have to remember not everything in shoemaking needs to be a perfect finished product!
Feel free to leave any comments or questions below! I'll do my best to answer :)